Sunday, May 8, 2011

Depression

While the GE results were slowly being announced yesterday I was fairly depressed, when I found out via various Tweets that WP had won only Aljunied and Hougang, I just logged off and went to bed crying. Crying not for WP, not for George Yeo, not for Singapore but the esteemed Mr Chiam See Tong.

Right from the start, he has fought hard to give Singaporeans an alternative voice in Parliament, holding himself accountable to all his constituents, fighting the battle on his own until Low Thia Khiang came into the picture later on. Both of them fought as best as they could on disadvantaged ground, walk the walk and talk the talk and that's why they got so much respect from the ground.

So today marked a very sad day for me as we say goodbye to Mr Chiam as an Opposition Leader and although he has never run in my constituency I had always rooted for his party. Thanks to you all in Potong Pasir and Bishan-Toa Payoh, the WP will now go into battle on their own.

I have nothing against George Yeo, he is a good man, a better man then some of his compatriots, much more deserving to be represented in Parliament but unfortunately as some people commented, the GRCs is a 2 way sword. You can't saw it without 2 parties getting hurt by it. I am sure PAP or the Government will find some place for George but what they can't replace is a great leader, Mr Chiam. As someone commented, Mr Chiam didn't lose the election, Singapore did.

That aside, a few days ago, I ran into a friend and she outright told me she will vote PAP because she received a $800 GSS package from the Government. $800 may be a lot to others but I swear even if the Government were to dangle a $10,000 carrot in my face I would not be sway for my integrity and conscience cannot be bought for any price. There is a Chinese saying, 良心被狗吃了, if you can be bought 1 time, your conscience will always be in question so I will stay away from such friends as it is obvious we don't share the same values.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe this friend of yours need not pay income tax. So that S$800 is like a bonus to her. Haha!!!

    ReplyDelete